Dutch ovens have been around for centuries. They owe their origin to the Dutch but are used all over the world.
Why Are They Called Dutch Ovens?
In the 17th century, the Dutch developed a technique for casting metals in molds made of sand. This technique allowed for a smoother finish. It also lent itself well to produce iron cookware which was used for food preparation over an open flame.
In 1704, Abraham Darby traveled to Holland and then adapted the manufacturing process. In 1708, Darby patented his process. The pots were given various names: dinner pots, bean pots, stock pots, or stew pots.
Low-Tech, High Value
Dutch ovens can be used in regular and “smart” ovens. They’re also great over a campfire!
This 6-quart Dutch oven has bigger handles and slightly curved edges that keep food from getting trapped in the corners of the pot. It’s shorter sides and width make this pot easy to get out of the oven.
Cuisinart Chef Classic Covered Casserole Dish
The Cuisinart 7-quart Dutch oven is larger in size than the Lodge but its smaller handles could make lifting more difficult. The size is also a bit larger than what is needed for standard-size recipes.
Amazon: $92. 86 (Cuisinart CI670-30CR Chef’s Classic Enameled Cast Iron 7-Quart Round Covered Casserole)
Speaking Of Recipes...
Here’s a favorite to try in your Dutch Oven Firehouse Chili (Thanks to our friends at tasteofhome.com)
Makes: 12 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1-1½ hours
- 4 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3 cans (28 oz each) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 4 cans (16 oz each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 ½ oz) beef broth
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- In your Dutch oven, cook the beef, onions, and green pepper over the medium heat until the meat is no longer pink, drain
- Stir in the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil
- Reduce heat
- Cover and simmer for 1-11/2 hours or until flavors are blended